THIS WEBSITE WILL NO LONGER BE UPDATED, THANKS.
I have joined the Department of Pathology at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) as an Assistant Professor in January 2013, where I have started a new research group named the Spectral Pathology Laboratory (SPL) which will be focused on the clinical translation of chemical imaging technologies. The new site can be found at spectral-pathology.uic.edu Past positions include; Postdoctoral research associate at the Beckman Institute (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign) in Prof. Rohit Bhargava's Chemical Imaging and Structures Laboratory (CISL). Carle Foundation Hospital - Beckman Institute Fellow at the University of Illinois (Aug 2008-Aug 2011) and PhD Student at Lancaster University, UK in Prof. Francis L. Martin's group (Aug 2005-Aug 2008).
Please check out the website for information about my research career and for contact information. My research is broadly focused on developing novel chemical imaging approaches such as Fourier Transform Infrared (FT-IR) spectroscopy towards biomedical applications.
Recent News and Events
- November '12. Accepted faculty position in the Department of Pathology at the University of Illinois at Chicago, where I will be starting in January 2013.
- August '12. Paper accepted for publication in Biomedical Optics Express. Ambekar R, Lau TY, Walsh MJ, Bhargava R, Toussaint K. Quantifying collagen structure in breast biopsies using second-harmonic generation imaging. Biomedical Optics Express. In press - Link.
- July '12. Paper accepted for publication in Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. Schulmerich MV, Walsh MJ, Gelber M, Kong R, Kole M,Harrison S, McKinney J, Thompson D, Kull L, Bhargava R. Computational Analysis of Soybean Seed by Transmission Raman Spectroscopy (In Press).
- June '12. Paper accepted for publication in Applied Spectroscopy. Reddy RK, Walsh MJ, Schulmerich MV, Scott Carney P, Bhargava R. High-definition Infrared Spectroscopic Imaging (In Press).
- April '12. Awarded prize for oral presentation at the Cancer Community @ Illinois Symposium.
- March '12. Awarded poster prize at the University of Illinois Cancer Center Research Forum. Link.
- Feb '12. Named investigator on University of Illinois-Chicago OVCR Areas of Excellence Award ($75K). Link.
- Jan '12. Paper accepted for publication in Vibrational Spectroscopy. Walsh
MJ, Kajdacsy-Balla A, Holton S, Bhargava R. Attenuated Total Reflectance
Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopic Imaging for Breast
Histopathology. Vibrational Spectroscopy.
- Jan '12. Peer-reviewed conference proceedings paper accepted. Reddy R, Mayerich D, Walsh MJ, Bhargava R.
Optimizing the design of FT-IR spectroscopic imaging instruments to obtain
increased spatial resolution of chemical species. IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical
- Dec '11. Paper accepted for publication in IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics. Walsh MJ, Reddy RK, Bhargava R. Label-free Biomedical Imaging with Mid-Infrared Microspectroscopy. (In Press).